Attracting more young people to the newspaper industry is one of the INF's core objectives. It works do this in the following ways:
• Each year the INF publishes a listing of the internships available at Iowa newspapers, which is distributed to Iowa high schools and colleges.
• Created in 2014, the INF’s Internship Matching Funds Program provides financial assistance to newspapers wishing to hire an intern
• Each year the INF Scholarship program awards thousands of dollars in scholarships to college students preparing for newspaper careers.
• INF facilitates a weeklong journalism camp offering an intense learning experience to ten high school students every year as a part of the Iowa Association of Business and Industry’s Business Horizons program
• The INF partners with the Iowa College Media Association to bring scores of college students to the annual INA Convention, held in conjunction with ICMA’s annual conference.
• The INF works with the Iowa High School Press Association (IHSPA) on a variety of projects.
• The INF supports the development of future newspaper readers through Newspaper In Education programs