Iowa Newspaper Foundation
The mission of the Iowa Newspaper Foundation is to champion and improve the quality and future of Iowa's newspaper enterprises and the communities they serve and to raise funds to fulfill this mission.
As an organization, the INF is focused on fostering excellence in journalism, engaging tomorrow’s leaders, developing future talent and championing the first amendment.
In recent years, investments of time and resources have established the INF as one of the most successful press association foundations in the nation.
Highlights of the INF's core initiatives:
ADVANCING THE PROFESSION –
• Dozens of expert-led, affordable programs covering topics from ad sales to digital options to photography
• INF offers in-person training programs and annually facilitates dozens of webinars serving thousands of newspaper personnel from all across the country
• Online Media Campus, our premier newspaper training brand, reaches out to newspapers in more than 40 states
• INF underwrites the cost of the INA Convention and Trade Show, which boasts attendance among the highest in the country, with registration fees among the lowest
The Leo Mores Newspaper Leadership Institute is a five-month program created to enhance the leadership, organizational and performance skills of mid-to-upper level newspaper professionals. The program establishes a network of current and future newspaper leaders who understand and can respond to local, regional and national issues impacting the newspaper industry.
• Since 2009, 36 newspaper professionals have graduated from the leadership institute.
SUPPORTING THE NEXT GENERATION –
• Paid internships for students looking for real-world media experience
• ABI Business Horizons Media Track – weeklong journalism camp offering an intense learning experience to ten high school students every year
• Eleven scholarships awarded in 2014 providing funding to college students preparing for newspaper careers
• Iowa College Media Association
• Iowa High School Press Association
• Newspapers In Education
FOSTERING EXCELLENCE –
• INF Better Newspaper Contests recognize superior work in all areas of the newspaper industry
• INF received 4,200 entries for the 2015 contests
CHAMPIONING THE FIRST AMENDMENT –
The INF strongly supports Freedom of Information (FOI) initiatives. The INF partners with the Iowa Freedom of Information Council to provide training to Iowa reporters and government employees and officials, as well as interested Iowa citizens.