Mauck-Stoufer Professional Improvement Workshop for Writers« Return to the Event List
- April 21, 2017 9:30AM - 2:30PM
- 319 E. 5th Street, Des Moines, IA 50310 (Click here for directions)
- Jana Shepherd 515-422-0951
- Add to my calendar
- Registration for this event has closed
This year’s Mauck/Stoufer Workshop debuts a new, more interactive format designed to provide students with multiple contacts with their professional coaches.
• The program will build your interviewing, writing and story development skills!
• We continue the Mauck/Stoufer Workshop tradition of one-on-one conferences with a writing coach!
• It is your chance to build relationships with experienced professionals and journalists facing similar challenges!
Kick-off Day Program (Thursday, April 21)
9:30 a.m. - Registration begins
10:00 a.m. - Welcome and introductions
10:15 a.m. - Remembering to KISS when you write (KISS, as in Keep it Simple Stupid)
Presented by Randy Evans
Too many writers make their writing too complicated. Their sentences are too complicated. Their stories, rather than being straight forward, have too many twists and turns.
11:30 a.m. - Attendees meet with coaches to determine next steps
Noon - Lunch (provided)
12:30 p.m. - How to access court records online or at the courthouse
1:15 p.m. – Break
1:30 p.m. Story Ideas Right Under Journalists’ Noses
2017 Mauck/Stoufer Follow-Up Agenda
- By April 28: Students send 2-3 writing samples to their coach and coaches schedule sessions with their students for the following week.
- Week of May 1: Coaches hold sessions with their students (either remotely via Skype, google hangouts, etc. or in person)
- By May 12: Students send second batch of 2-3 writing samples to their coach and coaches schedule sessions with their students for the following week.
- Week of May 15: Coaches hold second sessions with their students.
Registration fee: $175
Registration deadline: April 14